Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Michael Jackson, my tribute to the man and the music

Okay this may be a hard post for me. This may surprise many of you who actually know me, but this metal head was first a huge MJ fan. I've cried many times since his death, and as I'm watching the tribute the tears are flowing again, so please bear with me...this may get a little rough.

I'm going to say this now, and this issue is not up for debate with me. Whatever Micheal's personal demons were, they don't matter now. For the record though, I never thought he was guilty of molestation. I felt (and still feel) that it just was not in him. He was too childlike himself. There was an innocence to him, a simplicity almost. People will think of him what they will, but I hope if you are reading this you will be able to put your opinion to the side, and for a moment remember all the good he did. Now on to my memories.

I grew up listening to MJ. I remember my mother had both the "Thriller" and "Bad" albums on vinyl, and I listened to them all the time. I used to put on one white stretchy glove and try (and fail might I add) to do the moonwalk. I still can't do it. I knew, and still know every word to every song off those records. Songs like "Bad", "Smooth Criminal" "Dirty Diana" shaped my youth. Even as an adult that damn catchy beat from "Billy Jean" sends me right back to being a little kid, and makes me want to dance.

I can vividly remember watching the "Thriller" video, and it scared the crap out of me every year. He made videos that stood out, and they made can't miss viewing. If for no other reason than to watch the man dance. Seriously, even if you don't like the music, turn down the volume and just watch him dance. He routinely outshone his back up dancers. I've seen the video of his last rehearsal and I can tell you to my eyes he had lost nothing over the years. He was as smooth and fluid as always.

And that truly is the joy and legacy of Michael. He touched so many, so deeply with his songs. He broke through color barriers. It didn't matter if you were black, white, or purple. You knew who Michael Jackson was, and at some point, even if you don't care to admit it, you liked him. How could you not? He sang and danced so smoothly, and talked so softly. He touched the hearts of millions world wide in his too short time on this earth.

And lets not forget his humanitarian efforts. I'm listening to "Heal the World" right now, and it still touches my heart. Possibly more so now. He is listed in the Guinness book of records for his charitable donations. He did more for the world then some current celebrities without the boasting. Stars like Bono feel the need to tell the whole world what they are doing. Not MJ. He did it out of love and kindness, not for publicity. Maybe some others should take an example from him.

It pains me to see his children in the tribute clips. It saddens me that many people seem to forget that he was a father. But his kids will never forget. I think his daughter telling the world what a wonderful father he was is the most beautiful thing I have seen from the tribute. From all accounts he was a very involved dad, and his kids adored him. Those poor children now have to grow up without the only parent they have every really known. I hope for there sake people let the bad fade away and focus on the love, the music, and the genius that was Michael Jackson.

I really can't write anymore right now. I have no words that can properly memorialize such a man. The only thing I have left to say is a very personal goodbye.

God bless you Michael. I hope your up in heaven, feeling the love the world is sending to you tonight. I pray that you know not everybody was against you. Some of us never stopped loving you and your music, and I speak from the heart when I say I never will. May the lord keep you, and may you rest in peace. Your legacy will always live on.

Have your own MJ memories? Please share them with me in my comments.

3 comments:

  1. I have always been indiffrent to Micheal Jackson but I did watch Paris Jackson say goodbye to her dad and I watched as Blanket covered his face and I watched as Jermaine sang smile.
    MJ was well loved.
    but what pisses me off, is the billions of fans he has now...

    When he was alive two boys accussed him of horrible crimes like Krissy I never believed. I honestly thought.. if this shit is true why did the first boy take the Money and run? and the second boy why did he try and extort Leno and George Lopez first?
    no.. it didnt make sense.

    But when you watch the old footage of the second trial you will see MJ Jump on a car and preform for teh HANDFUL of fans he had
    ( I will get back to that amount )
    he waved and shook hands with these fans and you can see the gratitude he had for them.

    MOST fans with the exceptions of a few and I mean a few are band wagon fans. to you I say " shut up!" where the fuck were you when he was facing his accuser? were you in that small group outside his courtroom crying? praying and without doubt supporting this man?
    where were you when he lost almost everything to crimes he was proven innocent too?

    I am NOT a Micheal Jackson Fan, I do like his music, Thriller happens to be the greatest video ever made. I recall dancing Billy Jean the first bar I went too, and the last for that matter.
    I didnt try and get tickets to his Memorial and I only watched a little bit because it was on 20/20 to be honest and I always watch 20/20
    I only know two fans of MJ in my entire circle of friends the first is Jenny she is and always was die hard MJ when I met her she had that stupid red leather jacket and glove. and Pissant too.,.. Pissant knew all the words to Billy Jean I know this cuz she was the one who told me it was about a guy deneying a kid.. I was shocked because I never did listen to the song before she told them to me....

    My Memories of his music are when I was 7, Thriller just was just released and I watched that video!
    Thriller was my first music video.
    it also was the first single record ( yup vinyl) I ever bought...
    * If you tell anyone that I will deny this*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deny all you want... we now have evidence

    ReplyDelete
  3. But in all seriousness, yes, there are countless bandwagon fans as you mentioned. Also though... there are countless people who didn't realize how much of an impact he had on their lives and on the lives of those around them. Also people like myself, who could never claim to be a fan, I've never bought an album and really don't specifically seek out to listen to his music. That being said, he has a large number of songs I like a great deal, and I'd be a fool to deny the unmatched skill and talent the man had as a singer, dancer, and entertainer.

    Where were all the people when he needed them to stand by him the most? Honestly most of them were probably too afraid to stand up and say they didn't believe the allegations, to defend him. The social stigma alone from stating a belief such as that would be too daunting for most people to be able to overcome.

    As we've all noticed, and Krissy and I have commented on a few times to each other, it truly is sad though that it is now in death that the true breadth of the man is being exposed, and only after his death that the appreciation from everyone the world over is pouring forth to him... appreciation that quite frankly could have saved the man's life.

    Horribly enough the old adage always rings true, and possibly never more true than what we are seeing here: "You never know what it is you have until it is lost to you forever"

    The worst part is, his life was so perversly public from such a young age that any kind of privacy he could get through life he clung to with a tenacity few would be able to comprehend. I don't blame him either... he damn well deserved something for just himself and his family without incessant public scrutiny. That being said... if the world had a more open window into who he truly was, as a man, a son, a father, a sibling, a human being... if we had been able to see this years ago there may have been so much that played differently. The world over would have jumped to his defence from the moment anything was alleged. Instead... we now finaly start to see the man behind the myth far too late... and we are all the poorer for it.

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say? Put it here!

 
The World According to Krissy - Wordpress Themes is proudly powered by WordPress and themed by Mukkamu Templates Novo Blogger